Krista: Elementary School Teacher

I have been an elementary school teacher since 1990. I've taught grades 2-6 in Vacaville, California, Cartagena, Colombia and Beijing, China. I've spent the last 3 1/2 years teaching a reading intervention program and ELD to 3rd-5th grade students. Now I am working on my Master's degree in Education with an emphasis on technology.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Podcasting

Podcasting is creating and posting audio files on the internet for anyone to download and listen to.

Vodcasting is podcasting with the addition of video clips. It's like watching a video "on demand."

Podcasting is a relatively inexpensive way for students to present their ideas and work to a larger audience than just their teachers and classmates. It's a "no frills" but creative and fun form of communication without all of the privacy issues that can accompany the use of images.

I think podcasting would be a wonderful way for my ELD students to practice their English writing and speaking skills! I know they would be more motivated to write if they knew their stories would be heard by a lot of people. I also think they'd enjoy recording and then listening to each others voices!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, it's a great way for your ELD students to practice their English writing and speaking skills. It would also be a great way to learn vocabulary. The students could illustrate what the word means to them and explain in their own words the meaning. Maybe even write a sentence on the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture how much fun your kiddos would have with this type of activity. Not only will they be motivated to work hard, they will get the opportunity to hear themselves speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of using this with ELD students. Actually, it might be fun for them to teach a weekly English class. They could say words in Spanish first (for instance the numbers one to ten) and then again in English. It could be a powerful way for them to help their parents and other adults in the community to learn English in a non threatening way!

    ReplyDelete