Krista: Elementary School Teacher

I have been an elementary school teacher since 1990. I've taught grades 2-6 in Vacaville, California, Cartagena, Colombia and Beijing, China. I've spent the last 3 1/2 years teaching a reading intervention program and ELD to 3rd-5th grade students. Now I am working on my Master's degree in Education with an emphasis on technology.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Book Review - The World is Open: How Web Technology is Revolutionizing Education

Book Review:
The World is Open
How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education
By Curtis J. Bonk
Published by Jossey-Bass, 2009

Review by Krista Robertson
For Technology in the Classroom, EDU 742C
Touro University – California
Instructor: Dr. Dan Beltramo
March 13, 2010

The World is Open is a non-fiction work that explores the realities and possibilities of twenty-first century education. Author Curtis Bonk describes in great detail how web technology is transforming education across the globe.

Bonk uses a model he calls “WE-ALL-LEARN” to demonstrate key technology trends that are changing learning in this new century. Bonk states, “When there are momentous shifts or megatrends occurring in education they must be explored, documented, grasped, and exploited ethically as well as thoughtfully. “ He calls these trends “’openers,’ as in the door opening to untold learning opportunities” for twenty-first century learners around the world. The “openers” are as follows:
1. Web Searching in the World of E-Books
2. E-Learning and Blended Learning
3. Availability of Open Source and Free Software
4. Leveraged Resources and OpenCourseWare
5. Learning Object Repositories and Portals
6. Learner Participation in Open Information Communities
7. Electronic Collaboration
8. Alternate Reality Learning
9. Real-Time Mobility and Portability
10. Networks of Personalized Learning

Each “opener” is thoroughly described and explored in its own chapter of the book.

The World is Open is an instructive book. For me it was eye opening as well as mind opening. After reading it I feel like I’ve had glimpses through windows that I hadn’t even realized existed. I learned so much from reading it. It’s not easy to read, though. Long and tedious are the words I’d use to describe it. However, if there was ever a book that was tedious to read but fascinating at the same time, this is it. It is definitely worth reading!

I absolutely agree with Curtis Bonk’s idea that web technology is and will be playing a key role in the globalization and education of learners in this century. Thomas Friedman expressed similar ideas in The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century. I think the possibilities are amazing and very exciting. I only hope that the role of interpersonal relationships does not decline with the rise of technological interactions. There is so much about being human that we can and need to learn from face to face contact and interaction with other humans.

Reading The World is Open has altered my perspective as an educator. I’ve always thought about technology as helpful, exciting and entertaining. Now I’m learning how much greater a role it can and does play in our world. Now I realize that we’re doing our students a disservice if we don’t teach them how to use modern technology. It is and will continue to play a significant role in their education and in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment