Krista: Elementary School Teacher

I have been an elementary school teacher since 1990. I've taught grades 2-6 in Vacaville, California, Cartagena, Colombia and Beijing, China. I've spent the last 3 1/2 years teaching a reading intervention program and ELD to 3rd-5th grade students. Now I am working on my Master's degree in Education with an emphasis on technology.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

1st Reflection: What Do Students Need to Know?

What do students need to know before engaging in Internet searches and online social networking sites?

Regarding Internet searches, students need to be taught where to start and how to define or limit their searches. They also need experience in how to determine what is factual vs what's not factual. It would be helpful to understand the difference between a search engine and a metasearch engine.

Regarding social networking, students need to understand who their audience is. They need to be warned about the perils of posting personal information online. Students need guidance in time management, as well. Social networking is great, but it is what my husband and I call a "time-suck!"

No comments:

Post a Comment