Krista: Elementary School Teacher

I have been an elementary school teacher since 1990. I've taught grades 2-6 in Vacaville, California, Cartagena, Colombia and Beijing, China. I've spent the last 3 1/2 years teaching a reading intervention program and ELD to 3rd-5th grade students. Now I am working on my Master's degree in Education with an emphasis on technology.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Movie of Whale Songs

In the Language curriculum, we read several stories about whale songs. My students have a very specific idea about what a song is. They cannot grasp what a whale song is. This video shows a whale and the audio enables us to hear what a whale song sounds like.

2 comments:

  1. I loved watching that! I think letting students actually hear the whale's song is so powerful. It helps connect them to the beauty and uniqueness of the animal in such a way that they will want to protect it forever. Great use of media to increase student learning and empathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin!
    It's fun to watch the students' faces when they listen to whale songs. It's fascinating to them, like nothing they've ever heard before. We have great discussions about it.

    ReplyDelete